Pulmonology is the specialty in medicine that deals with diseases and conditions of the lungs and respiratory tract. A pulmonologist, doctor that specializes in the lungs and respiratory tract, is an expert at diagnosing and treating lung disease as well as preventing diseases such as tuberculosis. Often times pulmonologists deal with patients that are in very critical condition and in need of mechanical ventilation.
At Manhattan Medical, the pulmonologist provides diagnosis and treatment for hereditary diseases, exposure to toxins, exposure to infectious agents, and autoimmune conditions that cause a person to have problems breathing properly. He also works closely with patients that have asthma, bronchitis, tuberculosis and emphysema.
The pulmonologist at Manhattan Medical provides comprehensive diagnosis, consultation and therapeutic services for patients with conditions or illnesses that affect the lungs and breathing including but not limited to:
• Arterial blood gas tests
• Breathing tests
• Exercise asthma challenge
• Methacholine challenge
• Oxygen diffusion tests
• Pulse oximetry tests
• Sweat chloride screenings
• Thoracic gas volume tests
• Pulmonary function tests
• Spirometry (lung function test)
• Diagnosis and treatment for chronic obstructive lung disease (asthma, emphysema, respiratory failure, lung infections)
• Diagnosis and treatment for lung cancer and lung tumors
• Diagnosis and treatment for other pulmonary conditions (pulmonary hypertension, pulmonary embolism, vasculitis, sleep apnea)
Following are some causes for common pulmonary conditions:
Hereditary diseases – cystic fibrosis, alpha 1-antitrypsin deficiency
Exposure to toxins – tobacco smoke, asbestos, exhaust fumes, coal mining fumes
Exposure to infection agents – certain types of birds, malt processing
Autoimmune conditions – pulmonary fibrosis, pulmonary hypertension
If you have been diagnosed with or think you may have a pulmonary condition, please call Manhattan Medical today to schedule an appointment with one of our specialists.
M. Matarese, MD